Saturday, April 9, 2011

creative quilt top

I lost my sewing room this weekend to our new au pair. Although I am so glad to have reinforcement on the way, it was a little sad to put my fabric and notions away in boxes. Not having space to leave my machine and the iron out will mean a lot less sewing. I was able to get a lot done in twenty-minute increments of stolen time, here and there.

Luckily, I managed to finish this one last thing before packing it all up.


It is the top to what will hopefully soon be a quilted wall hanging. I followed this tutorial and it was the most fun I've had piecing since I made the improvisational blocks for my sons' quilt.

I didn't follow the guidance exactly. She recommends using four fabrics; I used three. She doesn't break up the strips as much as I did either. But I started out the way she suggested and relied heavily on her tips and the examples she provided for inspiration.


This concept of a non-pattern is incredibly appealing to me. It was the first time I felt like I was making art.

1 comment:

  1. This is so gratifying for me to see this. I adore what you have done... you took the ball and ran with it, doing your own thing. That is exactly what I had hoped for. I am delighted that the process was fun for you!

    ReplyDelete